Hitting children is wrong and the law should say so
WRITE TO YOUR MP NOW
Please write to your Member of Parliament urging support for giving children equal protection from assault.
Write to MPs at:
House of Commons
Or you can email your MP by going to www.parliament.uk/directories/hciolists/alms.cfm
To find out the name of your MP, please go to www.locata.co.uk/commons/
ADVICE ON THE CONTENT OF YOUR LETTER
In your letter, you may want to make these points:
- The current law allowing “reasonable punishment” of children is unjust and unsafe.
- Children are people with human rights to physical integrity and human dignity.
- Children’s differences - their smallness and developmental state; their fragility and dependent status - do not justify less protection from being hit than the rest of us take for granted.
- Hitting children is wrong, teaches a lesson in bad behaviour and undermines discipline.
- The law should send a clear message that hitting children is as unacceptable and unlawful as hitting anyone else.
- Children’s human right to equal protection from assault is recognised by United Nations and European treaties such as the UN Convention on the Rights of the Child.
- There is overwhelming pressure from bodies such as the European Committee of Social Rights for the UK to meet its human rights obligations by giving children equal protection.
- In the 21st century, children should be able to grow up free from all forms of violence.
- Explain that you are a constituent.
- Make sure you include your name and postal address (and your email if you like).
- Explain that your are a parent yourself (if you are!).
- Try to use your own words as much as possible.
- Try to keep your letter to maximum two sides of type, one side if you can.
- Use personal experiences or anecdotes to explain your points.
Please send a copy of your letter and the reply from your MP to: Children Are Unbeatable! Alliance, 94 White Lion Street, London N1 9PF, or by email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Get friends, family and work colleagues to write too.
10 REASONS TO SUPPORT EQUAL PROTECTION FOR CHILDREN
Children are being legally hit right now
Support child protection professionals
Promote positive parenting
Human rights obligations
The law is archaic
Ordinary people do not oppose change
It’s the right thing to do
Hitting children is wrong & the law should say so